Shovelstrode Manor was built in 1909 for Sir George Charles Trout Bartley, the founder of the National Penny Bank and MP for Islington, and his wife. It was designed by the architect Turner Powell and was built by the then well know local firm H and E Waters. The date that Shovelstrode was constructed is inscribed in the hearth in the drawing room. The Bartleys lived in the house until 1927 when they sold it to Noel Behrens who then sold it to the Earl of Strathmore, the late Queen Mother’s brother, in 1932. During the war evacuees and relatives of staff working for Lady Glamis were invited to stay for the duration. When necessary, they would shelter from air raids in the wine cellar, whilst the army camped in the woods. Nancy, daughter of Earl and Lady Strathmore, was married whilst at the Manor with Queen Elizabeth attending the wedding. During his ownership the Queen, later the Queen Mother, visited her brother there for lunch, as noted in the account by evacuee Eileen Gallant, whose mother became cook. From 1947 to 1951, the house became a hostel for men returning from the Second World War It was divided by Tucker in 1951 and bought in 1956 by the current vendor’s parents. During their time at the property Lord Linley visited them for tea to see the house of his great uncle.
Internally the house offers some superbly proportioned accommodation which is well laid out with the majority of the principal rooms facing south enjoying the panoramic views over the garden and the principal rooms are particularly spacious, the majority having oak floors.
A covered entrance porch with side seats opens into the hall, off which all the principal rooms lead. The drawing room has a large stone fireplace and is in the centre of the house and has doors to the verandah. There is also a sitting room and dining room, both with fireplaces. The kitchen/breakfast room is delightfully fitted with oak units with work surfaces and dressers. There is a 4 oven oil fired Noble and a central island unit with granite work surfaces, a further sink and wine racks. The first floor has a particularly spacious landing which gives access to 3 bedrooms all with doors to the balcony. There is also an en suite bathroom, family bathroom and laundry room while on the second floor are 4 further bedrooms and bathroom.
Shovelstrode Manor is approached through a 5 bar gate along a drive which leads through the woods and garden to the front of the house. In front of the house there is a parking and turning area with double garage with 4 attached garden stores. Beside the drive is the stable yard in 2 blocks with 4 loose boxes and a tack room. There are also some open fronted stores.
The gardens are a particular feature of the property and have been beautifully laid out. On the southern side of the house the verandah leads out onto the terrace which has steps, flanked by borders, leading down to the croquet lawn. At the western side of the house there is a further area of lawn with borders beyond which is the hard tennis court and swimming pool. The swimming pool has a paved surround with changing room and pool hut. Beside the drive there is an orchard area and vegetable garden. Beyond the garden there is the paddock.
This Property is marketed by Chesterton Humberts